A Complete Guide to Thai Yoga Massage – Why Choose It?
Thai yoga massage involves numerous adaptions and variations. Therefore, when it comes to type this message, then you will find that every therapist has its style. It is believed that the Thai yoga massage originated from India due to the association of the term yoga.
The massage is always a combination of gentle twisting, tumbling, palming stretching, and acupressure. Most of the time, therapists recommend the incorporation of the feet, knees, forearms, thumbs, and palms during the session.
Typically because of acupressure, joint mobilization, and muscle compression. According to many people, this kind of massage is very energizing and relaxing. It begins with working on the feet as they are the lowest body part and all weight is on them. When you work on your feet first, your energy moves upwards, thus helping in energy circulation.
History of Thai yoga massage
Thai yoga has its roots in the Indian systems of Ayurveda and yoga. The founder of Thai massage is a physician by the name Sangha, Jivaka Kumar Baccha, who is known as the father of medicine.
Being practiced in Thailand for 2000 years, Thai massage was brought from India along with Buddhism. It has passed through generations, developments practiced and modified. These years it has become more popular around the world and seen as a spiritual practice.
The theory behind Thai yoga massage
It is a very holistic massage therapy where humans are treated and seen as a network of a spiritual, emotional, mental, and physical network. The main foal of the massage is balancing and restoring the energy system of the body that entails the multiple energy lines throughout the body. The energy lines are just felt and not seen.
The therapist is working on ten meridians that ensure optimum well-being and health. The extremities are known as ‘ten sen’ and ‘sip sen.’ The vital life source is known as Chi in Chinese and Ki in Japanese.
They travel through these meridians, supplying the body with energy that is essential for healthy functioning and survival.
It can cause emotional and physical diseases. They trap and block the energy from the limited belief systems, injuries, bad posture, and emotional or physical trauma. But through the fantastic Thai techniques and adjustments, the blockages bring the body back to its natural equilibrium where the balance is always perfect.
The necessity in this kind of massage is a therapist and a right mattress. The therapist, however, should be an expert and aware of all the basics that regard the Thai massage. It will ensure that after a massage, effects are not harmful and favorable.
In case you think this massage is hard for you, there are always many other massages too. They could be active and helpful in their way as well.
Therefore, with the Thai massage, the session is usually done on a mat on the floor. The patient should always be dressed in light clothing’s. The sessions will still take at least one to two hours or at times, depending on the patient’s needs.
Who Should Get Thai Massage?
Thai yoga massage is a unique and ancient form of bodywork that combines elements of yoga, acupressure, and energy work. This therapeutic practice offers numerous benefits, making it suitable for a wide range of individuals seeking physical, mental, and energetic well-being.
1. Individuals with Physical Discomfort:
– Thai yoga massage is particularly beneficial for those experiencing physical discomfort, such as muscle tension, stiffness, or chronic pain. The practitioner uses a variety of techniques, including stretching and compression, to release tension and improve flexibility.
2. Yoga Enthusiasts:
– Yoga practitioners often find Thai yoga massage to be a natural complement to their practice. The assisted stretching and rhythmic movements align with the principles of yoga, enhancing flexibility, promoting relaxation, and fostering a deeper mind-body connection.
3. Stress and Anxiety Sufferers:
– Individuals dealing with stress, anxiety, or tension can benefit from the calming effects of Thai yoga massage. The combination of gentle pressure and mindful touch helps induce a state of deep relaxation, promoting mental clarity and reducing stress-related symptoms.
4. Athletes and Fitness Enthusiasts:
– Thai yoga massage can be an excellent choice for athletes and fitness enthusiasts. It aids in muscle recovery, reduces muscle soreness, and enhances overall athletic performance by addressing imbalances and promoting optimal joint range of motion.
5. Those Seeking Energetic Balancing:
– Thai yoga massage incorporates elements of traditional Thai medicine, which focus on energy lines and points. Individuals interested in balancing their energetic flow, improving vitality, and promoting overall well-being can find value in this modality.
6. Individuals with Limited Mobility:
– The passive stretching and gentle manipulations involved in Thai yoga massage make it suitable for those with limited mobility. Moreover, it can be adapted to accommodate various physical conditions, making it accessible to a wide range of individuals.
7. Office Workers and Desk Job Professionals:
– Sedentary lifestyles and long hours at a desk can lead to stiffness and discomfort. Thai yoga massage addresses these issues by targeting areas prone to tension, such as the neck, shoulders, and lower back, providing relief for those working in office settings.
8. Anyone Open to Mind-Body Connection:
– Thai yoga massage goes beyond physical touch; it encourages a mindful connection between the giver and receiver. Those open to exploring the mind-body connection and experiencing a holistic sense of relaxation and rejuvenation can benefit from this ancient healing art.
Benefits of Thai yoga massage
Since this massage is a therapy in the eastern form of treatment, it believes that it is profoundly holistic, and people think that energy flows along with the network of meridians or channels.
The benefits of receiving a Thai massage are still unclear. It might sound easy saying that Thai massage is more accessible for you in the short term, but any scientific evidence backing this information is lacking. However, there will always be some apparent benefits you could get from the Thai massage.
One it may help relieve tension and stress in the muscles and joints and makes you feel incredible. More so, for those who feel stiff during traveling, it could help you a lot since you get stretched throughout the massage.
There are some studies that are trying to back the benefit of Thai massage. Moreover, one research suggests that a traditional Thai massage is an essential complementary therapy for autistic children in Thailand.
According to another study, patients who suffer from back pains associated with the triggers of the connective tissues that are holding us together need a Thai massage. It will help in relieving the pain much faster and thus being an alternative primary health care treatment.
Other benefits include
- helps in the skin rejuvenation and increases blood flow
- boosts the immunity by increasing the white blood cells while reducing the levels of stress
- it enhances one’s mood by increasing serotine in the body
- it lessens the digestive disorders
- elevates the levels of alertness
- improves deep sleep
- decreases body pains and improves body functionality
- Lowers blood pressure.
Getting a Thai massage could be that nerve-wracking. In many of the parlors, you will find out that the employees do not know how to speak English. This could make things even much weird.
However, people will tend to ask themselves several questions. Do you have to change into the scrubs handed to you? Do you keep your clothes on?
For most Thai massages, you will be given a combination of pants and a shirt. However, you can always remain in your clothing. But it could be a much more relaxing experience to wear the clothes the experts give you. Additionally, they are comfortable, clean, and loose-fitting.
During the process, the Thai massage therapist will rock you and stretch your muscles using their hands. They use every part of their bodies in doing this, their thumbs, elbows, and knees. Some masseuses might even stroll on you.
This kind of massage is very different than what westerners are used to. So, Thai massage is not that gentle. They could be that unpleasant, but when done right could give you all the benefits desired. Usually, the massage is done more or less intense, depending on the age and size of the person.
When it comes to mental and physical health, the critical element is just a simple touch. Therefore Thai yoga massage could be the perfect way for you connecting with others and improving your overall health through touch.
What is your take when it comes to Thai massage? It could be that intense inflicting some pain, but the benefits you get are more. It’s your choice to make whether to try it or not.
- Why Deep Tissue Massage is Helpful for Chronic Pains
- Therapeutic Massage – A Great Alternative for Patients